Putting Down Roots
After graduating from the North Pacific School of Dentistry in 1923, Leslie F. Marshall opened his own practice on West Broadway in Vancouver. Soon expanding this office to accommodate its growth, he provided encouragement while sons Jim and Don finished their degrees. The three would eventually practice together until 1957.
Les’s poor health forced him to retire in the spring of 1971. He died that fall fondly remembered by his many grateful patients, confreres, friends and family. One patient reminisced about Les’s congeniality: at 4 PM, work at the office would often stop and Les would invite you for “tea time” in his office.
Following Great Footsteps
Like their father, Les’ sons practiced dentistry nearly all their lives. After completing a graduate degree in Endodontics, Jim taught and practiced this specialty, eventually named head of the Oral Health Sciences department of the Oregon Health & Science University (Portland, Oregon). Don developed his own practice and soon began planning to have his son, Bruce, join him as a Vancouver family dentist.
Bruce graduated from UBC’s School of Dentistry in 1992, and soon began working with Don as an associate. He bought the practice from Don in 1996 and roles reversed: Don became an associate working for Bruce. This partnership was a magical one, each learning from the other until Don retired at age 75 (after 52 years of practice!).
Growing for the Future
Bruce Marshall formed The Marshall Clinic to continue his family’s history of providing quality, patient-centered care.